Cajun Burger Patties
1½ teaspoons Cumin, freshly ground
1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
½ teaspoon Onion Powder
½ teaspoon Cayenne Powder
½ teaspoon Thyme Leaves, dried
1 pound Organic Pastured Ground Beef
1 small Onion, minced in your food processor
½ cup Green Onion, diced
1. In a small mixing bowl, add the spices and mix with a spoon until gently combined
2. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add the ground beef, minced onion, diced green onion and evenly distribute the spice mix over all
4. Divide the meat and gently form it into 4 balls (Don’t overwork the meat)
5. Flatten the balls into ¾-inch-thick patties
6. Flatten the top and sides of each patty to ensure that the thickness is the same throughout
7. Use your fingers to make a shallow well in the top of each patty (this will prevent overplumping)
8. Oil the grill grate using a pair of tongs and a paper towel dipped in oil
9. Cook, with the wells facing up, until the burgers release easily, 4 to 5 minutes with grill lid closed for medium (Don’t press or flatten)
10. Lift lid and flip
11. Cook 4 to 5 minutes more
12. Check the doneness with a thermometer (Insert it through the side so the tip is in the center); It should register 155° F for medium
Tips for Delicious Burgers:
• Handle ground beef gently. Over-mixing when blending other ingredients into the meat gives you tough burgers and less flavor. A few pats are all that’s needed to form patties
• Save the juices.
• Don’t press down on patties or pierce them during cooking.
• Cover the grill while the burgers are cooking so the meat retains the smoky flavor from the charcoal. It wouldn’t hurt to throw some soaked fruit wood chips on the fire either.