Deodorant Bar Recipe
½ cup Certified Organic Coconut Oil
½ cup Cocoa Butter
½ cup and 1 teaspoon Beeswax
1 teaspoon Vitamin E Oil (optional for preservative)
3 tablespoons Bentonite Clay
½ cup Organic Arrowroot Powder
2-3 capsules of High Quality Probiotics that don’t need to be refrigerated
20 drops Oregano Essential Oil
10 drops Orange Essential Oil
1. Combine coconut oil, cocoa butter, and beeswax in a double boiler, or a glass bowl over a smaller saucepan with 1 inch of water in it
2. Turn the burner on and bring water to a boil
3. Stir ingredients constantly until they are melted and smooth
4. Remove from heat and add the vitamin E oil, bentonite clay, arrowroot powder, probiotics, and essential oils
5. Make sure the mixture is not hot to the touch (warm is fine) so that the heat doesn’t kill the probiotics
6. Gently stir by hand until all ingredients are incorporated
7a. If you will be making these into bars, pour into muffin tins or other molds while still liquid (I always use muffin cup paper for easy removal)
7b. If you will be putting into an old deodorant container to use like stick deodorant, let the mixture harden for about 15-20 minutes at room temperature to harden and when it is about the consistency of nut butter, use a spoon to scoop into the empty and rolled down deodorant tube
8. Pack mixture down to fill
9. Leave the cap off for 6-8 hours to completely harden before use
This recipe can be adjusted to make any quantity that you’d like by increasing the amount of ingredients used. This batch made enough deodorant for 5-6 months. You could also cut the recipe in half if you want to make a smaller amount.
If the deodorant’s taking too long to harden, try putting it in the fridge for a few hours. This helps in the summertime and I actually like keeping mine in the fridge all the time. If your home reaches temperatures over 76 degrees, the deodorant sticks might soften too much.
If you experience stains, this is likely due to the oil residue that is there for a few minutes right after it is applied. Try keeping it in the fridge so a smaller amount is transferred to skin or waiting approximately 5 minutes after applying before putting a shirt on.
Instead of using a pan for the contents, use a quart size glass mason jar with a lid. Place this in a small saucepan of water until melted. I have found this is easier on clean up and I just use the same jar for these types of projects.